PACIFIC RIM 2: UPRISING


I love this concept to death, loved it the first time I laid eyes on it a few years back. To millions of little boys, and only the coolest of girls, this was a dream come true. As children we grew up playing with robots and monsters, pitting them against one another with our imagination running wild and the use of our toys to bring them ever closer to life. All of us who partook in such fun got to see this come to life like never before possible. Bringing out the wildest of imaginations from our inner child once more these films will be forever cherished by many and with all that said I must now be honest on this sequel.
          While I did still love the concept, and loved seeing these concepts expand and added on to through use of new Jagers and new tech, I can't say that I was totally satisfied with the end product.
          So one, the ending is everything. It is the last impression you have of the film, that thing you'll remember, the final taste and it can either leave a sour taste in your mouth or it can be you wanting more! Here it left a sour taste ... at least in my mouth. The epic climax of the original left a shadow that this sequel just couldn't get out from under. Was it the worst ending ... no ... but with that said I can only say from my own experience that once I had realized the credits were about to roll all i could think was, "wow, did I miss something ... where's the climax".
          Also lacking was story development. We all know from the previews that the main character is the son of Edris Alba's character from the first film and yet they try to force a back story onto him, same with the female lead in this film. There's little to no back story for any of the new characters and so besides the funny dialogue and swift action scenes there's not much for us to use to relate to these characters.
          What I did like were the new Jagers introduced with all their new toys. They all had something neat to offer, even the smallest of the Jagers, Scrapper. And also the culprit behind the entire movie. It was a twist that I did not see coming but it works for the story, it will shock a lot of people, and they chose the right person for the role.
           SO, good and bad aside I have to say, I would recommend this movie for anyone who even slightly enjoyed the first one. The acting was good, the story is really good, and if you can overlook the poor character development and not expect the climax of such gargantuan proportions like that of the first then you will still enjoy the film.

Comments

Popular Posts